Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 6 Hours
Total Servings: 4 + leftover chicken for freezer
Enjoy the flavors of a summer BBQ with this slow-cooked chicken hit. A baked sweet potato and a seasoned coleslaw side finish this tasty meal.
- 1 ½ cups Stubbs BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 lbs chicken breasts
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bag of tri color slaw
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1 cup of purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Optional Toppings: pepitas for slaw
- Stir together bbq sauce and water in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add chicken and turn to coat. Place lid on and cook on high 3-4 hrs or low for 6-7 hrs. Shred chicken with 2 forks. Pull out 1 lb meat for this week and freeze leftovers.
- Wrap sweet potatoes in tin foil and bake at 400 F for 45-60 min or until soft.
- In a small bowl, wisk oil, vinegar, maple syrup and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss slaw, carrots, cabbage, cilantro and green onions together. Pour dressing over slaw and toss to combine. Taste to adjust seasonings if needed.
- Divide potatoes into 4 containers and add chicken. Put slaw in a separate container so you can heat the chicken and potatoes before eating. Top with pepitas if using right before serving.
** if you have an instant pot, you can put 1 cup of water in the bottom, add a trivet and place sweet potatoes inside. Cook on manual high pressure for 23 minutes, and allow to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes before quick release instead of baking in the oven if desired.
1 potato with BBQ chicken and ¼ recipe of slaw ~ 459 calories, 13 g fat, 48g net carb, 28g protein