Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
Total Servings: 4
- 1 lb lean ground beef (90/10 or 93/7)
- 4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 small bundle of sliced scallions (green and white parts), divided
- 1 tbsp spoon minced garlic (~3 cloves)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes or a squeeze of sriracha
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cups cooked rice or cauliflower rice
- ½ bag matchstick carrots (about 1 ½ cups)
- 4 thinly sliced seedless cucumbers (persian or hot house)
- *You can pickle the toppings of carrots and cucumbers if desired by putting them in a bowl and adding 2 tbsp of rice vinegar, 2 tbsp water, ½ tsp sugar and ½ tsp salt and letting them sit until you have assembled the bowls.
- In a large skillet, brown the meat over medium high heat, breaking it up, until it is cooked through. While the meat is cooking, add 1 tbsp of soy sauce and ⅔ of the scallions. Once the meat is completely cooked, stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- While the meat is cooking, stir together in a small bowl the rice vinegar, honey, ginger, red pepper flakes and remaining soy sauce. Pour over the browned beef once the garlic has been added and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Remove meat from heat and stir in the sesame oil. Top with remaining scallions and taste to see if you want more soy sauce or red pepper flakes.
- Eat hot over rice and topped with carrots and cucumbers. Or to prep ahead, divide into 4 containers and make a separate bag of the carrots and cucumbers to add after reheating.
Nutrition: 387 cal, 14g fat, 37g net carb, 26g pro
** adapted from wellplated.com