Categories: lunch, dinner, grill, chicken, salad
Tags: lunch, dinner, protein, salad, vegetables, grill
Course: lunch, dinner
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Total Servings: 4
Dressing / Marinade:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tbsp spicy brown or whole grain mustard
- 2 tbsp smooth and mild Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 small cloves)
- Salt to season
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- ½ cup bacon bits (or 2-3 strips center cut bacon)
- 8 cups Romaine or mixed salad greens
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Optional toppings: 1 sliced avocado, 1 cup corn kernels, ½ of a red onion or pickled onion
- Whisk marinade / dressing ingredients together to combine. Pour half the marinade into a bowl or zip top bag. Use kitchen shears or a sharp knife to cut chicken into 1 inch pieces. Add to marinade and refrigerate for 20 minutes or up to 24 hrs.
- Save the other half of the marinade to use as the dressing.
- Heat a nonstick pan or grill over medium heat with about a teaspoon of oil and cook chicken pieces on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through. Once chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
- Prepare salad with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado slices, corn, onion strips and top with chicken.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of water into the remaining untouched marinade / dressing and drizzle over the salad. Sprinkle the bacon over the top and season with a little extra salt and cracked pepper (optional).
- *when I am pressed for time, I will make the marinade/dressing and use rotisserie chicken for the salad to toss together a meal in half the time!
Nutrition: per 1 serving ~ 396 calories, 12g fat, 25 g net carbs, 37g protein
Inspiration or attribution if applicable: adapted from cafedelights.com